The most common question I get asked as a Chef during the season is - what can I do with my Christmas leftovers? Well here are some clever ideas that will turn leftovers into new and delicious meals:
- Ham, turkey or chicken have multiple uses. The first thing is to cover the ham with a moist tea towel or damp ham bag to prevent it from drying out in the fridge and to wrap chicken or turkey with cling film.
- Leftover ham or poultry slices are great for a toasted sandwich or focaccia with a good relish or chutney on Boxing Day.
- Dice or slice the ham or poultry up (or both) and add 1 cup of stock with 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise, add 1 cup of defrosted frozen peas, some chopped capsicum or tomato and some fresh parsley and cracked pepper and serve with some garden salad leaves to make a fantastic summer salad.
- Shred the cooked chicken or pork leftovers up and make sliders with your favourite toppings. Warm the meat in a pan with 1 cup of stock and some BBQ sauce or use our slider recipe and just replace meat with cooked leftovers.
- Make a great batter with 1 cup of stock, 1/3 cup of flour, 1 tablespoon of seeded mustard, mix together and coat some of the sliced ham in flour. Coat in the batter and fry the pieces in a frying pan. Serve with roasted vegetables to make a tasty meal.
- Freeze the ham bone and make a great pea and ham soup in the autumn or winter season.
- If you have leftover seafood, make sure you store it away after lunch. Peel the prawns and de-shell the mussels in order to make a delicious seafood pie. Just make the sauce, fold in your seafood and top with puff pastry (check out our Campbell’s Kitchen recipe).
- If you have leftover vegetables you could combine to make a great tasting gratin or bake. Make a white sauce using stock, then pour sauce over vegetables, top with cheese and bake for tasty lunch.